The European Commission-funded Support to Kosovo Media Institute project aims through the Kosovo Media Institute to contribute to the development of high editorial standards for print and broadcast media and facilitate a free, responsible and sustainable media landscape according to European standards as Kosovo works toward the goal of entry into the European Union.
The Kosovo Media Institute is well established with a board representing the media sector in Kosovo and a director with extensive journalistic and editorial experience. The Institute provides weeklong training and diploma courses in journalism and media studies. While international trainers are used in training-of-training courses almost all other trainers are from Kosovo and have been through a training-of-trainers course.
The project also supports the Kosovo Media Institute in developing self sustainability and income generating activities such as training in public relations for the commercial sector, audience surveys and media selling assisting local media to generate income from regional and national advertisers. There is a strong need and will to develop the institute into a full blown organisation reflecting all the combined successful activities from similar institutes in the region.
1. Continue the development of the Kosovo Media Institute making it a centre for all organisations in the media sector in mid-career training, advocacy and dialogue activities, strengthening the standards and sustainability of the Kosovo media landscape.
2. Continue the development of the Kosovo Media Institute as a provider of certified mid-career training and diploma courses based on publicly accredited teachers offering specialised training in topics such as politics, European integration, business, economy, legal as well as gender and minority issues.
3. Strengthen and formalise the cooperation with other media organisations in terms of training, initiate professional and public debates on media policy issues and act as a common platform for dialogue and advocacy activities with existing media and journalist associations in the sector.
4. Continue the development of the Kosovo Media Institute in giving advice and consultancy to local and national, print and broadcast, majority and minority media, strengthening their professionalism and sustainability.
5. Continue the development of the Kosovo Media Institute towards a self sustaining organisation through provision core services for the media sector and related income generating services.
Results to be achieved
Kosovo Media Institute (KMI) emerging as a financially sustainable organisation, professionally managed and serving the interests of its membership by exercising a strong media advocacy role
Strengthened sustainability & capacity of Kosovo media, especially local ones
Improved reporting standards and professional skills of journalists