Jeunesse Active, Médias Inclusifs et Littératie Numérique (JAMIL.Net)
The overall goal of the project is to promote the inclusion and civic participation of young Tunisian women and men in interior governorates of Tunisia through promoting Media Literacy and strengthening community radios.
The project has three components: promoting a better understanding and use of media (including social media, online media and community media) so that young Tunisians can make their voices heard increasing youth representation and participation in local and national media; strengthening the capacity of community radio stations to engage with local youth and produce programming by and for young people.
IREX Europe is implementing this project in partnership with ATMA (Association Tunisienne des Médias Alternatifs) and Savoir*Devenir.
JAMIL.Net Objectives :
Objective 1: To promote a better understanding and use of media for young Tunisian women and men to make their voices heard;
Objective 2: To increase youth representation in local and national media;
Objective 3: To strengthen the capacity of community radio stations to be better able to represent youth.
Our project works to achieve these objects through the following activities:
- Creation of a center for Media and Information Literacy Education with 5 satelitte centers across Tunisia
- Media and Information Literacy (MIL) training of trainers for ATMA trainers combining face-to-face and remote training.
- Organization of MIL workshops for youth groups, bloggers and youth leaders in regional Youth Centers.
- Journalism and radio production training for journalists at 5 community radios;
- Media Literacy focused productions by 5 community radios.
- Hackathon – support to 10 media projects developed by young journalist and students in journalism.
- Workshop on local journalism and radio animation for ATMA trainers;
- Workshop on innovative business models for managers of 5 community radios.
- Creation of a central mechanism for financing and advertising incomes for community radios
The expected results of the project are:
- Outcome 1: A Media and Information Literacy Education center is established, and a network of 20 trainers are created among partner organizations in 5 governorates to support media projects developed by young Tunisians.
- Outcome 2: Journalists from community radios have strengthened capacity in local journalism as well as better ties with their local community – local youth benefit from youth focused and youth produced programmes local programmes.
- Outcome 3: financial sustainability of at least 5 community radios is strengthened creation of a centralized financing mechanism.
Read more about the project: