Strengthening the capacities of Tunisian social partners and media civil society (TOKE)
The overall goal of the project is to contribute to the development of local information and citizen mobilization in the governorates of Tozeur and Kebili through the professionalization of associative radios and media literacy for youth and active civil society in these regions.
The project is being implemented in two components. The project’s first component focusses on improving the access to local information for the populations of Tozeur and Kebili , by strengthening the editorial capacities and economic viability of Djerid FM and Nefzaoua FM, the only associative radios in Kébili and Tozeur; The project will also work to increase the participation of youth and civil society in the governorates of Tozeur and Kebili in community radio programs and make responsible use of social media to disseminate, exchange and discuss local news.
TOKE Objectives :
Objective 1: To strengthen the capacity of community radio stations to produce information programs;
Objective 2: To enhance the capacity of youth and civil society to interact with community radio and social media.
Our project works to achieve these objects through the following activities:
- Workshop on local journalism and radio animation for ATMA trainers;
- Trainings in local journalism (« journalisme de proximité ») and radio animation techniques for journalists from Djerid FM and Nefzaoua FM.
- Workshop on innovative business models for managers of Djerid FM and Nefzaoua FM.
- Media and Information Literacy (MIL) training of trainers for ATMA trainers followed by a training of ATMA’s officials of Youth Centers in Tozeur and Kebili.
- Organization of MIL workshops for youth groups, bloggers and representatives of civil society in Youth Centers.
- Production and dissemination by Djerid FM and Nefzaoua FM (with the support of ATMA) of the making-of of MIL workshops.
The expected results of the project are:
- Outcome 1: Journalists and facilitators from Djerid FM and Nefzaoua FM have the necessary know-how to produce information programs focused on the concerns of the populations of Tozeur and Kebili and to organize at the community level a citizen dialogue reflecting the pluralism of currents of thoughts and opinions.
- Outcome 2: Djerid FM and Nefzaoua FM strengthen their economic viability by developing different formats of programs with low production costs but adapted to their mandate as citizen and participatory media.
- Outcome 3: Youth and active civil society in the governorates of Tozeur and Kebili participate more in community radio programs and make responsible use of social media to disseminate, exchange and discuss local news.
Project’s Partner(s): Association Tunisienne des Médias Alternatifs (ATMA)
Donor(s): European Commission
Read more about the project: