Worldwide – EU Framework Contract
“Human Rights, Civil Society, Governance, Justice and Home Affairs”
EuropeAid Multiple Framework Contract Lot 7
In the mid-nineties, the European Commission introduced a fast track system to enable rapid implementation of smaller PHARE projects. In 2004, this became known as the Multiple Framework Contracts (FWC), operating worldwide across many development sectors, for assignments of up to € 200.000. The FWC exists for 13 Sectors known as Lots.
Framework Contract – Lot 7
IREX Europe is currently involved in the EC’s Framework Contract Lot 7 which focuses on Culture, Governance and Home Affairs, through Human Rights, Democracy and Institutional Strengthening. This includes :
- Promotion and defense of human rights and fundamental freedoms
- Democratization processes including elections and good governance of public affairs
- Conflicts prevention and dealing with the consequences of conflicts including landmine clearance
- State, Justice and Parliament reform processes
- Police and security
The procedure: The European Commission Delegations (ECD) in beneficiary countries around the world can launch Requests for Services (RfS) to the consortia within the Lot 7 Framework agreement. The consortia then compete against each other to provide the best team and methodology for each RfS.
Examples of specific Lot 7 projects:
- Ghana – Feasibility study for support to independent Governance institutions involved in the electoral process
- Serbia – Preparation of the Media Study for the National Media Strategy of Ministry of Culture of Serbia
- Nigeria – Study on Identification of Support to State and Local Governance Reform Programme in 6 EU Focal states